Thursday, April 12, 2012

First Time Fishing

This year we decided would be a good time to introduce Tyler to fishing. We were so excited and feeling that all would be a success. I have provided a time lapse of events that marks our epic adventure on opening day.

Good Friday, 4/6/12, 7:00 p.m. - We visit a big box store to purchase my fishing license.

9:00 p.m. - I have been told twice that maybe I should have not waited until the last minute to get my license. I am tired, angry, and trying to reason with myself that having the flu was a good reason why I did not get my fishing license earlier. 

10:00 p.m. - It is one of the latest times I have ever got Tyler in bed, but I blame this on the big box store and the fact they were not prepared for my lack of preparation. 

11:00 p.m. - Tony and I are tying hooks on fishing lines, attaching sinkers, packing the tackle box, attaching a cute bobber to Tyler's little pole so he will have something to watch in the water.

11:30 p.m. - The car is packed up, our snacks for tomorrow are ready, our clothes are laid out and ready. Tony and I finally crawl into bed.

Opening Day Morning 4/7/12 6:30 a.m. - Tony has been awake for a little while, he could not sleep. I on the other hand do not want to be disturbed.


6:45 a.m. - Tony insists I get up, unfortunately I get up and start getting ready. I also start brewing coffee.

7:10 a.m. - We are not on schedule but we finally are pulling out of the driveway.

7:30 a.m. - I wait in line to buy worms and our breakfast at D&D Grocery. I wished I would have just purchased my fishing license from them. Next year will be different.

8:00 a.m. - We finally get a hook wet. 

8:30 a.m. - Tyler has lost interest. He only wants to find rocks to throw in the water. This does not bode well for us getting to catch a fish, so we move to a new fishing hole.

8:50 a.m. - At the new spot I have warned Tyler multiple times to not get so close. The grass is a little tall and even though it looks like he can stand closer to the edge it is a 12 inch deep hole of water. 

8:55 a.m. - Tyler falls in the water. I fish him out of the water and run back to the car to strip the soaked clothes off of him and turn the car heat on.

Maybe just a minute before he fell in.
9:10 a.m. - We are at Mimi's house debating on returning to the creek to try again.

9:30 a.m. - We decided not to go back but try again in the afternoon. We now pull back into our driveway.

9:45 a.m. - Tyler wants ronis. Nothing else will do.

10:05 a.m. - Tyler has polished off a bowl of ronis and his chocolate milk.


I am exhausted just re-telling this fishing tale. It was fun but with a 2 year old I don't know what I was expecting? I was planning for a possible fall into the water by bringing more clothes for us, but I had no idea how hard it was going to be. Next year will be easier... I hope.

No comments: