Thursday, December 15, 2011

What Christmas is About

I am trying to teach Tyler why we celebrate Christmas. I go all out with decorating and Christmas music, I have since I was very young, but I just don't want him to think this is it, this is what Christmas is about. Learning the history and him picking up on it has been a little tough. It is hard to describe to a 2 year old angels, the Star of Bethlehem, a manger for a bed, or a virgin birth. Basic is best for this age.

I have tried reading him how Jesus came to Earth but books and simple illustrations help only so much. I talked with Tony and we decided it would be nice if we could find or make a nativity scene that Tyler could put his hands on. A visual to learn the key people and places. We ran across such a tool at O.P. Taylor's Toy Store, and it was half priced. It has small pieces so Tyler only gets to play with it while he sits at the table with Mom or Dad.

 
It interests him and he takes special care of baby Jesus. He does not get to play with it often, but we keep it on the table so that he can study on it and it be a piece for us to talk about during meals. So far I feel it is a success and I look forward to him playing with it in the future too.

No comments: