Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas with a Sick Baby

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was peaceful and white. We received well over 12 inches of snow, and it was nice... for one day then I wanted it gone.

Tyler started getting sick on the 22nd and stayed sick until Christmas. It was so sad that our baby could not enjoy his first Christmas. He was so weak and not his usual exuberant and happy self.

His fever hit a high on Christmas Eve of 104.8 degrees. He had never been sick until now. I was so disappointed that it had to be for Christmas, but then I could not think of another time I would rather it have been. How about not at all?

I was so scared holding my feverish child and wondering if I was doing everything right. Then when I was almost ready to rush him to the emergency room the fever would break and he would be content to walk around and hold his sippy cup.

We were just thankful that he did not get any worse and he had no other problems other than a fever. No runny nose, cough, or lack of appetite. He enjoyed eating his Pedialite Pops on his daddy's lap and being cuddled.

By the time Christmas rolled around we were more than ready to get out of the house for family Christmas parties. He just lacked the energy, and the snow was coming down so fast that we figured it would be best to keep him at home to prevent him getting worse.

So we had a nice and quiet Christmas at home. It was probably the only year in my memory that I have stayed at home and not visited family. I made biscuits and gravey with bacon for breakfast after we opened gifts.

Then we rode him around in his wagon. He looks so weak here. It just breaks my heart and makes me want to cry.

Other than a few odds and ends in the pantry we had nothing for a nice Christmas meal at home, but my sweet sister-in-law called and let us know that she was cooking and we were welcome to their Christmas Ham and fixings. I was so thankful Tony did not have to try to find an open grocery store on Christmas. Thank you Kimmy, we love you!

After lounging around all day and just enjoying being with my little family. The rest of my family made their way out in the snow to bring us some of their Christmas meal and our gifts. Tyler was so tired but very happy to see his grandparents.

God had his hand on Tyler. It could have been so much worse. We could have been in the hospital with him, but instead we were able to be at home with a gorgeous snow all day long. It was our little Christmas Miracle.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful new year too. 2011 is sure to bring many memories.

~Gina~

No comments: