Monday, October 25, 2010

Celebrating our Heritage with a Bang!

It worked out the other weekend to go to a house warming shower and the Annual Barnardsville Heritage Day Festival. I am very proud to be from good old B-ville.


I am also very proud to live in the South and celebrate our ancestors and learn more about the area. It all took place at the Big Ivy Historical Park.


You could take a tour of the Carson Cabin and spring house, a one room school house, and the Little Snowball Fire Tower. I wanted to go up into the tower but there was a bees nest.




I had not visited the Carson Cabin since I was a small girl. Most of the time it is locked up so you cannot walk through but on this day it is opened and partially furnished.


I had never seen the inside of the spring house. This was very interesting how the water flows in, around and then back out.


Tyler enjoyed the crowd and looking around. I loved this picture of him on the front porch. He is such a good sport about pictures.


 
As we were leaving they were getting ready to fire the cannon. They did this every hour and it literally rattles your teeth. It evokes such emotion too. I could not imagine being on those battle fields and having cannons firing like this. Such bravery by our soldiers. I am so thankful for America and our freedom.


What are you thankful for about your heritage or family roots?

~Gina~

No comments: